City of Gaia
From Dogcraft Wiki
(Redirected from Gaia)
|World||Survival 4 (Husky)|
|Founded||1st April, 2020|
|Contributors||Gaia Senate & Citizens|
|Transport||Served by West Station|
Nether Transport Network
"The aim of this city is to create something which feels alive, and has a tightly-knit community around it." DragonFire441
The City of Gaia, or simply Gaia, was a Mediterranean-style city on the Survival 4 Husky world of the Dogcraft Server. Inspired by Venice, Gaia featured twisting canals cutting through a densely packed urban landscape. The city was founded on the launch day of the Survival 4 world; the 1st April 2020, by a council of people comprised of leaders of Survival 3 city projects such as Ouranos, Chronia, and Erebus. Development within Gaia continued through the final days of Survival 4 in preparation for the World Download.
The main part of the city was a Venetian-style complex with canals running throughout the city creating another way for players to travel throughout. This area was positioned at the southern bay such that the south end of the city bordered the sea. At this border, there was also a commercial harbor connecting the city to the outer world. Surrounding the eastern and western fronts of the city were large granite mountains, terraformed by the Council and Senate members. An airport could be found on the northern side of the city.
Instead of plots with a specific layout, the Council granted people more flexibility with their building areas. Because of this, people were given larger plots of land to develop within allowing them to be more creative with the shape of their structures. The intent was to create a more interesting and developed area. The leadership encouraged builders to stretch themselves and to try more complicated techniques such as diagonals. Since the style of Gaia was rather specific, and to maintain a level of quality, all potential citizens (called Applicant Citizens) were required to build a small sample of their build in creative prior to building it in Survival within Gaia.
Build Style and Theme
The style of buildings within Gaia was, as previously mentioned, Mediterranean. The general era was Renaissance, and thus was mostly based on terracotta, stone, sandstone, brick, etc. with less emphasis on wood as would be seen in medieval builds. Numerous reference images and ideas could be found within the #inspiration-images channel on the Gaia Discord.
The Council and Senate members built several example buildings on Isola Delle Nocci to help show the desired style and kick-start the building process of Applicant Citizens.
Gaia is the name of the Greek primordial goddess of the earth (being the daughter of Chaos). Naming of the city Gaia followed in the Dogcraftian tradition. The symbolism in our logo was twofold: the sun represented the Mediterranean climate, and the laurel wreath linked to both the heritage of this part of the world (being a symbol used by both Romans and Greeks in antiquity), and also being a symbol of plants coming from "Mother Earth". The Blue and Orange represented the granite mountains reaching up into the blue sky.
The leadership of Gaia manifested as the Council and the Senate. The City Council Members were the main leadership of the project being responsible for Executive Duties and the overall direction of Gaia. Below them were the Senate Members who were responsible for helping manage and plan the city, as well as terraforming and building the infrastructure.
The Senators are: almightyanna , Arkhangellsk, blueartistic813_, Domino_1 , ebi_furya, googly2002, Iotados, Skelleton123, Txp_ and William278 .
Former Council Members: William278 from Ouranos and nossi_ from Chronia.
While this was a large group, the culmination of collective experiences lead to the creation of a city which met the aims outlined above.
By the end of Survival 4, the City of Gaia was full of numerous builds of homes, businesses, and city services. There were too many to list them all, but below is a partial list of several of these builds.
- Casa Cavellini & Negozio di Musica
- Gaia Castle
- Gaia Courtroom
- Gaia Theatre
- La Casa Musicale
- Senate House
- Visitor Centre
- West Station (Husky)
- 29 March, 2020 - Gaia Direct Discord meeting held. This meeting laid out the groundwork for the project moving into the new Survival 4 world.
- 1 April 2020 - Survival 4 world officially launched. The Gaia team quickly located a suitable area West of Spawn.
- 8 May 2020 - The City of Gaia had a soft opening where new citizens were allowed to begin claiming areas to build.
- 16 June 2020 - William278 stepped down as Council Member to become a Senator.
- 4 November 2020 - Preparations started for the Christmas Event.
- 7 November 2020 - 100 shulker boxes of granite donated by players.
- 20 November 2020 - Launch of Gaia Bot onto the City of Gaia Discord server.
- 12 December 2020 - nossi_ steped down as Council Member.
- 17 December 2020 - Gaia was announced the 'Best decorated town' in the Dogcraft Christmas Decorating Competition 2020.
- 19 December 2020 - Gaia hosted their ice boat racing event on the frozen canals.
- 6 January 2021 - blueartistic813_ joined as a Senator.
- 21 March 2021 - The Gaia Choir releaseed their hit rendition of Lobachevsky from the Gaia Theatre.
- 4 April 2021 - Txp_ joined as a Senator.
- 25 April 2021 - The Chase held in the Gaia Theatre.
- 31 July 2021 - The Granite Mountains surrounding the city were structurally complete!
- 5 April 2022 - A picture of Gaia, taken by DragonFire441, was added as a background to dogcraft.net and the Wiki after winning a category in the Screenshot Competition.
- 22 January 2022 - Hosted the second half of the T-G Treasure Run event in collaboration with Takeshi.
- 13 March 2022 - A last push to finish any open projects, namely the castle and Cookies' bakery, before downloading Gaia.
- 15 March 2022 - Survival 4 officially closes in preparation for Survival 5. Plans were already underway for the successor city, Caelon.
Opening of the SRN West Station