How should I revise?

Flash Cards?
5 (26.3%)
Read through books?
3 (15.8%)
Actually do some work on the subject?
11 (57.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: I have exams  (Read 7010 times)

2lesslives.

I have exams
« on: April 15, 2017, 09:55:22 pm »
So, next term at my school - like every year - we have end of term exams to test our ability and how much we've learnt and listened. The results and year's work quality go into deciding what sets we are in for all subjects, so, I'm aiming to get either high 80s and in the 90s in terms of percentages, my parents also said if I got good results in ALL of my exams and did 1 or 2 hours of revision everyday they would buy me Skyrim Remastered, now, the point of this post was to ask for tips and help for revision so I can do well, remember that I'm only 13 (Year 8 ) so I haven't got hugely high level work to be doing, if you have any tips, please post them, I want all the help with revision I can get because I want Skyrim so bad XD If you wish for me to post my school timetable please post a request and I shall post it here, for now though, thank you for everyone who posts (or has posted)!

~ 2less :)

firsty.blocker

Re: I have exams
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 11:14:50 pm »
You should obviously study. Generally I don't find exams hard, but I find that studying greatly improves my mark. If you are aiming for 80s and 90s, I would recommend at least 30 minutes a day.

2lesslives.

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 11:53:04 pm »
Okay, I figured I'd get comments like that, but thanks! ^^

j0n_r4ng

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 01:33:11 am »
I guess it all depends on how you feel you learn best. Is it by hearing things repeatedly? Then maybe find videos online about the subject, or even ask of its allowed to record your lectures somehow for listing to later. Or are you better at visual learning, that's when videos again could be helpful and just plain rereading and studying flash cards, which helps with seeing it, saying it, writing it all together. Even taking notes during a class, then completely rewriting them again can be helpful. Again it depends how you feel you learn best.

Scooberson

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 03:52:48 am »
I agree with j0n, it really does depend on how you feel you learn best, and he basically sums that up for you. Whatever method of studying you choose, you should always make sure you don't overwork yourself either. Take breaks from long study sessions, just don't get around any TV's or your computer, as they can distract you (assuming you aren't using it to study of course). Make sure you get good sleep too, especially before your exams, most of your memories actually "file" themselves in your sleep. Plus, a rejuvenated brain functions much better than a tired one. One thing that helps me, I set incentives for doing the work. Whether it be setting goals with small rewards for yourself (candy, breaks etc. etc.), or simply telling yourself that you can't do something you like until you finish (such as coming on DC or working on your redstone tutorials.)

I must say, its good that you're seeking these tips so soon in your "educational career." When you get to the later years of school, when everything is more advanced, they will help a lot. Especially if you have one of those schools that has a massive "final year" project.

I wish you the best of luck in exams, remember to have confidence in yourself. Study hard!

~Scoobs

j0n_r4ng

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 04:16:10 am »
Scoobs got a good point, getting into these habits now, helps massively later down the line. When you do get to high learning and more advanced classes, you won't have to worry about "learning how to learn" then, you'll be set which will be a huge step above most. And definitely leave out distractions while doing so, focus I'd a huge part of the whole process.

2lesslives.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 08:34:29 am »
Thank you everyone for the pointers, I do believe you with what you said about the brain and sleeping, the only trouble is I struggle with sleeping so yeah but I can always try. As for what you said Jon, I don't really know hoq best I learn, I guess using from flashcards would be good but I've never really had to do exams..

~ 2less

firsty.blocker

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 12:00:06 pm »
If you struggle with sleeping, maybe you should sleep 1 hour after school and then study, this way you probably won't feel as tired. I completely agree with j0n.

-OPwrecker :)

TerTerFooFoo

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 07:40:54 pm »
I was such a huge geek in school. I really was. I found that making an outline and using bulletpoints for vocabulary was especially useful. I also made flashcards for vocabulary words. On the sleep issue, this may sound silly, but drink more water. Hydration is important. water helps to balance electrolytes which might help you sleep a little better.

2lesslives.

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 10:00:11 pm »
Sounds like the sort of thing I would do tbh TerTer haha, and thanks for letting me know about the water! And an explanation of why it helps helps even more!

j0n_r4ng

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 10:19:19 pm »
If you're unsure the best way for you to learn, this is prime time for you to figure it out. Try an assortment of different studying techniques, and you'll soon feel which ones are effective and which ones seem to just pass the info in one ear and out the other. If a method is grasping your attention more than another, or one just "feels like" its comfortable and effective, lean more towards it

2lesslives.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 11:18:06 pm »
If you're unsure the best way for you to learn, this is prime time for you to figure it out. Try an assortment of different studying techniques, and you'll soon feel which ones are effective and which ones seem to just pass the info in one ear and out the other. If a method is grasping your attention more than another, or one just "feels like" its comfortable and effective, lean more towards it

Thanks Jon ^^ Another thing I just realised, my Mum is a Physics teacher and get teach any level of it, but she is also qualified to teach Chemistry, Biology, Maths and she does Learning Support so I could ask her to test me on things... Maybe? I do find having tests helps me learn...

~ 2less

NOTE: The subjects I want to do the best in are: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths and German, as they are my favourite subjects as of yet. So it helps my Mum teaches them xD. I would also like to thank everyone who has posted so far ^^ I appreciate you taking time to leave me a piece of advise about exams and revising techiniques :)

rock_badger

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 04:24:47 pm »
On your sleeping problems, try putting your electronic screens away an hour before bedtime. Night time tea helps. Ask your parents to do a little research for "natural" ways to help your body produce "melatonin." It helps your internal clock tell you to "log off" and go to bed! GL!  8)

2lesslives.

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 05:12:14 pm »
Thanks Rock! Good point about that melatonin, I was aware of it but kinda half forgot ;) I'll look into though ^^

~ 2less :)

goldminer177

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 05:49:08 am »
stay calm and do some research, you might find it easy to do and school work is more important and computer games (unless your job is playing computer games) and remember that computer games are really only there for us to have fun and not something we do everyday.

-GoldMiner