Author Topic: Splitting the server!  (Read 3382 times)

Brianetta

Splitting the server!
« on: July 31, 2018, 02:22:33 am »
Not quite as scary as it sounds.

Some of you might be aware that many of the different worlds on server.dogcraft.net are running together in one single server. This includes our Survival and Survival 2 worlds, our Amplified world, or creative world and several others.

We intend to separate these worlds, each into their own server. This will have several positive effects, but there will be some differences.

Positive changes:
  • Lag in one server won't affect the others
  • servers can be simplified, which means fewer problems
  • Each server gets to make better use of the hardware, and should run better
  • Players get to set homes separately in each server
  • Each server has is own completely independent mob cap

The differences are in the way you move between them. It won't be possible to teleport between servers, and that includes homes. You would need to change server, then teleport. Changing servers is easy - you use the /server command.

Some of our servers are already separate, like Nitro UHC and Hide & Seek.

On Wednesday 1st August, we will begin the process by separating the Creative world. To get into the creative world, you will need to use /server creative. To return, you will need to use /server hub. If you have any questions, feel free to ask an admin!

gamerluuk

Re: Splitting the server!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 05:22:12 am »
As someone who exclusively plays on sur2 (and now on creative for a design test for a build), i won't think i have issues with this.

jjminedogs

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 03:32:08 pm »
Will this wipe out all of the set homes or will you just need to be on the correct world/server to use them? I have played on this server for a long time and probably have over 100 homes set between Sur1 and 2. It would be very difficult to reset them all.

Brianetta

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 05:37:28 pm »
You will not lose homes. I will be trimming homes so that only those that are valid on the server remain on that server. So your Creative world homes will be the only ones on the Creative server, and will be deleted from the main server.

I could leave all the homes be, but you'd get an error whenever you tried to use one to a non-existent world.

On the up-side, if you have bought ten homes, you now get ten homes per server. I'm that nice.

jjminedogs

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 05:49:57 pm »
Sounds like a lot of work. We really appreciate everything you do.

dogbert

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 06:07:34 pm »
that sounds great. i want to buy the gold home and try survival 1. i know very few people play there anymore but its still worth exploring. esp if some of the older players were to come back and restock the mall.

jjminedogs

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 06:26:57 pm »
dogbert, I do try to keep my shop stocked on Sur1. I know that there are several player that still play on it. I like going on it sometime just to go through some of my old builds and walk around. I like sur2 but sur1 is still my favorite.

irish king

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 07:07:22 pm »
that sounds great. i want to buy the gold home and try survival 1. i know very few people play there anymore but its still worth exploring. esp if some of the older players were to come back and restock the mall.

I still play on survival 1, i can't get around starting on survival 2 yet

Brianetta

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 12:50:34 am »
It's done.