Poll

What's the best biome to build my sci-fi base at?

Desert
2 (33.3%)
Plains
1 (16.7%)
Forest
1 (16.7%)
Ocean
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: What's the best biome to build my sci-fi base at?  (Read 3285 times)

gamerluuk

What's the best biome to build my sci-fi base at?
« on: April 28, 2018, 10:02:39 am »
The poll is locked, and since 2 options were both number 1, i decided to do the ocean biome, because i found a great spot. To everyone who voted, thanks for your advice!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 10:02:15 am by gamerluuk »

gocleau

Re: What's the best biome to build my sci-fi base at?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 07:23:19 pm »
Ocean would give you a TON of opportunity to build whatever you want, but it also comes with the challenge of having to floor to start on. 

You could do some cool things under the ocean too, though...

I think that the desert would have to be a close second, but it would also be really easy to accidentally build a dystopia (like the districts in Hunger Games... a dystopia is where society falls apart, and then grows very quickly in one small place and under the rule of a dictator).

Maybe a dystopia is what you are going for though?

gamerluuk

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 07:34:16 pm »
Well, it's not an dystopia. It is going to be more like Coruscant or Bespin from Star Wars.

ebi_furya

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 03:26:38 am »
Have you thought about building in the End? It would be a real challenge, but could be a sweet build. With the black sky, it would be like you were already in space.

gamerluuk

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 06:17:14 am »
But it isn't supposed to be like it's in space, so no, i am not going to make it in the end.

Mrs Diss

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 11:11:03 am »
if you're going for a complete city (i.e. coruscant) the biome probably isn't really that relevant, as you'll be covering it all up anyway. on the other hand that is lots of work.

desert is relatively easy, you can see a build from far off, could look good.

jungle: futuristic towers rising up out of all those very saturated greens, could look brilliant. however, you need to build tall, jungle trees are over 30 blocks tall, and you'd want the towers rising up above them. also a pain to get started in as you have to clear the area first.

Wodong77

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 01:09:04 pm »
I’d say desert because there’s just the whole “something from (more or less) nothing” aspect of great big cities rising up out of the sands. But preferably not using much if any sandstone, really drive home that difference. Maybe a bit here and there as a nod to the original biome, but not a main color scheme.

gocleau

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 04:28:13 pm »
https://flatironix-gaming.tumblr.com/

That link is to my tumblr... I couldn't really figure out a better way to post photos.  The first post is photos of a sci-fi build I am currently working on in a modded world; it is in a red colored desert, so close to what you were thinking.  The buildings are all around 13-15 blocks wide, and they go underground (which I show in the first photos)... from bottom to top they are all probably about 150 blocks.

I know this is probably a little off from what you were thinking, but maybe it will at least serve as a starting point. ^.^

Also Coruscant is a huge inspiration to me... I have always wanted to design/create a sci-fi city with EXTREMELY tall towers that are inspired by Coruscant on the top of the city and Gotham down at the bottom.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 04:31:36 pm by gocleau »