Author Topic: Technical questions for a happy server  (Read 2953 times)

leetzilla

Technical questions for a happy server
« on: February 02, 2018, 06:53:29 pm »
I'd like to optimize my base to create minimal lag while I'm on the server. One of the things I'd like to do is move all my farm animals far enough away from my main base that the entities are not loaded along with my automated farms, hopper chains, aqua ducts, & sorting systems.

I'm aware that the server does some funny business with mob AI based on their distance from a player which effect things like villager breeding and making endermen aggro, but I don't know exactly what it's doing and it seems kind of important when planning farms. I'm also unsure about how many chunks the server will load around a player and if all entities in these chunks are loaded and "active"?

So my first question is how far away should I move my animals to make a dent in the entity count? (16 chunks? Maybe less?)

I'd also be very interested in any documentation about what plugins we're using that may effect redstone contraptions. I've successfully made Tango's sorting system twice in S1 but on S2 the droppers are not silent and a plugin keeps breaking the redstone because it's generating too much lag even though it's lit up to avoid lighting updates. Is there a difference between S1 and S2? Is the threshold lower because there more players on S2? Or did I just build it wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice that help us cyber dogs keep the server zippy,
LagZilla

Brianetta

Re: Technical questions for a happy server
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 03:04:51 am »
There is no functional difference between survival 1 and survival 2.