Author Topic: Public Farms  (Read 4794 times)

Gawin

Public Farms
« on: November 05, 2017, 03:23:44 pm »
I keep hearing chatter about public farms of all kinds from food to iron to xp.

I personally think we need to keep these to a minimum. It really tanks the economy of anyone selling anything when someone else has the same items open to the public. It even ruins the ability to trade items you have for ones they have.

I think it is ok to let someone from time to time use a spawner farm to gain some xp but the owner of the farm should keep the drops.

The farms that are public or for "citizens" just mess up the economy. 

Brianetta

Re: Public Farms
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 09:08:58 pm »
It's already against the rules to build public farms. You can find the full rules on this web site.

I'm not sure that you're correct about tanking the economy. Everybody on the server could build the same private farm, which would have the same economic effect, except requiring more resources from the server. If you're hoping to make your fortune selling something that can be farmed, you need to completely rethink your business model.

Gawin

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 09:34:22 pm »
If you give everything away for free you tank an economy.

That simple.

As for making money I have made money on everything that can be farmed. By people who don't want to take the time to farm.

I sell more farm-able items than rare or hard to craft ones.

But my business plan was not the issue it was all the free farms that are out there. But thank you for you insight.

Brianetta

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 01:21:44 am »
Good job that tanking the Minecraft economy only affects players who care about the economy. Us tree punchers remain unaffected.

Skelleton123

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 04:52:42 pm »
Hi

I want to pick in on this. I'm getting the feeling you are targeting the Havanna City and it's citizens.
Let me make something clear for starters. Everyone has the right to apply to become a citizen, this doesn't mean everyone will be a citizen or get through the application. People who are not fully citizens of our settlement won't get any access to any of the farms. The only farms available at the City for everyone are the tree-farms and the wheat/potato farm for food. In Survival 1 there were way more farms available for everyone to use. Coming back on that, those farms are all manual. Meaning they do require you to do the harvesting yourself. So no free stuff laying around for grabs. Hard work get's you what you want, the only convenience is that all the different kinds of trees are available to you on a closed of piece of land. A luxury which was available at spawn in Survival 1 and which isn't anymore in Survival 2.

All the other farms in our city are off-limit to non-citizens. So the only people accessing them have actually helped built the city and helped collecting the resources needed to construct all the infrastructure for those farm. In the end, it's just like a massive group of friends playing together and sharing resources. Difference is you have to apply to become part of that group of friends. 

I don't know of any of our citizens to make huge profits on any of those materials either.

Kind Regards
Skelleton123

Quasi_1987

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 11:43:48 pm »
My own rule is that who helped me with something, like a build, will get a share in using the farm, in this case I mean a guardian temple, although the help was less than 25% I granted them access in return. But they're also my friends on the server (so that works also) :P I stopped sharing my grinders with everyone who asks in chat cause instead of being thankfull people just kept asking more and more instead of making some grinders or infrastructure themselves.

Overall, my goal is getting up the tech tree, get me some nice stuff and gadgets, trading heads or stuff I produced for other heads (and so on). But mainly focus on builds and not getting 1 million dcd's for example.

jjminedogs

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 03:11:46 am »
Everyone has the right to apply to become a citizen, this doesn't mean everyone will be a citizen or get through the application.

What ever happened to just playing the game, helping each other out and having fun? Ren started this as one big community for his Cyberdogs and I'm not sure he ever planned on it breaking into individual cities that require a vetting process for access. Their are always going to be people who abuse the system and take as much free stuff as possible, but I believe for the most part it is a good thing to help someone out, giving them some food or letting them use your XP farm. With very little effort someone can build a wheat, carrot or tree farm and get by without needing to fill out an application. The economy of Survival 2 is quickly approaching the same level as the one on Survival 1. The longer the server is up, the supply of items and goods will increase and the demand and costs will drop. That is just the way it works.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:19:45 am by jjminedogs »

Brianetta

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 08:11:46 am »
It's literally the same economy as survival 1. Literally. That's why you're still the richest player in survival 2, jjminedogs.

We are all just playing the game. Some people like to build on their own, some people like to build together. The city of Havana is players playing and building together. I'm not sure what the complaint is, or why anybody would have a problem with that. Every group of players has the right to choose who they play with on the server.

jjminedogs

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 02:41:49 pm »
The point I'm trying to make is Minecraft is a fairly basic game, you mine, you farm, you build and you have fun. You don't need to worry about what everyone else is doing. As far as the economy goes, Brian is correct, it is the same between worlds. I was speaking more to the cost of living. Things are a bit more expensive on Survival 2.

Brianetta

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 02:46:55 pm »
What's more expensive? Genuinely curious, since the folks in the city I live in are in the habit of sharing freely, and prices don't really come into it.

jjminedogs

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 03:55:47 pm »
I'm referring to the shops and the deals that are made between players. Enchanted books, tools, diamonds and such. Things that people sell for DCD's.
Not everyone shares freely on the server. That was what I was talking about in my original post. Helping each other out is a good thing.
I think it is great that people share freely in your city, but the majority of the players on this server do not belong to your city.

Brianetta

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 04:12:21 pm »
Please don't bite my head off for the way I play. I was asking a genuine question.

jjminedogs

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 04:28:41 pm »
I was giving a genuine answer. I'm sorry if you took what I said as a personal attack, it was not intended that way. As this post has gotten way off point, I think it would be in my best interests to stop debating with the Server Admin :). Everyone just play and have fun.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 04:46:02 pm by jjminedogs »

AtollaBell

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 08:07:24 pm »
I keep hearing chatter about public farms of all kinds from food to iron to xp.

So to put in my $.02, I’m fairly certain that there are far more “economy-damaging” public farms on Sur1 than on Sur2. If you go into spawn town on Sur1 there are public wheat, carrot, and potato farms, sugarcane, cocoa beans, wood, melon, watermelon, nether wart, vines, and probably some else that I can’t think of off the top of my head. It’s stocked with places to brew potions, to enchant items, and grab a fishing rod off the bat. It has everything.

On Sur2 there’s a wood farm, a wheat farm, a potato farm. Someplace to enchant. A stone farm that does NOT produce five million things of cobble. A skeleton grinder - and we all know that doesn’t exactly produce high-end loot. Quite frankly, it’s far less economy-crashing than in Sur1.

I don’t see the townie farms as economy-crashing either. Wanigoora existed in Sur1 and it didn’t kill the server. Why should it or Havana on Sur2? I don’t see it in the same light as public farms. If you have to contribute to the city and be a part of things then it’s not for free - you’re putting in both work and resources. Quasi mentioned that he gave access to his guardian farm in exchange for work on it, and IMO it’s the same deal.

I don’t plan on selling anything I get in the city (if I make it through the app process) and I don’t plan on /not/ making my own farms and infrastructure. But there is a certain amount of sensibility to making certain resources more readily available, as those who have been forced to make 40-level creeper farms can probably attest to.

ScaryMJDiamcreep

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 10:09:17 am »
this whole thread has gotten me confused as to what counts as a public farm. i know that a farm where people can take resources without having to do anything is definitely public, and that a farm that you only use for your own use is private, but at what point does the transition occur? would a farm that directly feeds into a shop where you can get the resource relatively cheap be public or private?

the number of times i misspelt public as bublic while making this is too high