Author Topic: Villagers despawn after crash / My backup solution  (Read 4691 times)

Quasi_1987

Villagers despawn after crash / My backup solution
« on: October 01, 2017, 11:40:36 am »
Hi there Cyberdogs,

(sorry for my english, beforehand)

Well as you all know and sadly enough experienced it happens from time to time that when the server reboots or has a sudden crash villagers and animals are wiped out. Normally I solve this by leaving the server for about 15 minutes when the reboot message appears, or I teleport myself to another location in the world so that my chunks aren't loaded (but what if another player is still in the area) so option 1 is the best so far (yet again, what is a player keeps my chunks loaded when i'm off) By sudden crashes I haven't got the change ofcourse.

Well, i made a plan, or as Iskall85 should say "prwan" :P

Bigger image: Click here

It's pretty easy but you need to have a stockpile, one that hasn't wiped out already ofcourse. I'm a bit old school so i draw something by hand. My plan evolves around my iron-breeder combo farm. Where i have idealy 25 villagers for breeding and 11 in the holding cells for the iron farm itself. Number 11 floats up and down in a small water elevator to activate or deactivate the breeder.

I think, that villagers sitting in a minecart are save for crashes, cause they where always there when the rest has despawned. Yesterday, the 30th september, my breeding hall survived. But still, i don't know this for sure. So my plan is based on idea's and suggestions.

So why not make a backup storage.... you can also craft a ton of spawn eggs or pay thousands of dcd's for spawneggs, that's up to you. But, i'm still in my building process so why not add it right now. I myself used a killing system from Mumbo's trading hall in Hermitcraft season 4, you can download that world or visit me at dogcraft! :P This system works with recycling a minecart after the villager is dropped in a tube of 30 blocks depth. But... you can also swith de lever and send the villager straight to the stockpile where it stay's in a minecart untill i have 25 in storage for the farm, the farm needs moveable villagers (the holding cells which I mentioned earlier are now villager's with a minecart)

Do what you want with it... it's just a suggestion, I lost about 65 villagers in about 8 days, so i've got a bit desperate and frustrated :P

If you have questions or suggestions tell me! :)

-Quasi_1987

PS. the stockpile has it's own water elevator for repopulating the breeder/farm

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:57:19 am by Quasi_1987 »

Quasi_1987

Re: Villagers despawn after crash / My backup solution
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 02:44:16 pm »
Here some screens of my built, be warned though, my goal is to give diorite a chance in this mc world! Eventually i will terraform my base with large custom spruce trees and podzol. I'm a bit inspired by my visits to Germany where some of my family lives, a beautiful country with spruce forests and a lot of buildings using all kinds of granite.

Come visit me to see my progress on the server.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:06:34 am by Quasi_1987 »

Quasi_1987

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 01:11:07 am »
Well yesterday and today we had a bunch of crashes, while i'm in the middle of restocking and breeding new villagers my system seems to work. The ons in minecarts survived the crash, the ones outside the cards, not. So a little setback, hadn't had the chance to fully restock my farm/breeder cause of this modification and the crash this last weekend.

Note; rails are also important, not only the minecart it's both.

Want to see it in action? Go to Spawn, Brown plots and you see a white house with a tree besides it (100blocks west is my base) or go to -2340/2440

jan-erik.hansen

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 03:32:54 pm »
Yesterday i was 3-4 hours  after a crash i was looking for a new game/server but ended upp looking aimlessly into the wall, probably i was in shock, all numb. days of work gone, close friends lost forever. can always get new friends but not like those, not without  high cost. Rip Mrs Mendin For'ten and all pepole living in Noillytown,. I logged back inn again just by habbit, walking in sirkles for a while not knowing what to do, all my plans shattered, inspiration lost,..,.,., What now, start all over again? what if it happens again, start over then to, i would loop, getting nowehere, drivven into madness or suicide (caracter). Shook it off and manned upp, no choise, this is my life now! /home Fleemarket and look for some new recrouts, bougth the 2 first i found with the hard earned dollars from my savingsaccount, didnt matter if there was some cheaper once in the next both, no time, i have to get my town repopulated, farms worked, shops opened, and life back to normal, it will take a lott off sweat and tears but i will get there. Happy to say the two new residence are realy eager to help so after a few hours it starts to look like its gona be ok, still none usefull tho. thing is i have been killing off the not perfect ones. only the best is good enough, like my farmer with cheapest wheat carrot pumpkin 1 from mellon, was gona trade him also out when the perfetc one is breed.. well this time changes are gona be made, imprissoned in charts is mabe the most importaint one i think, cant afford that for everyone, but when that 1/100 comes around i putt him in one.. the most shitty thing about breeding tho is,, they wont breed without me looking att them, if i move 10 plots away and 4-5 upp (working on my sorting system) they seem to sease all activity and breeding shuts down..

Is there no serveroption for auatosaves like 1 every 5 min or so, so that after servercrash you could run  that one? some timewarping would be expected then tho, but thats better then armageddon. if server crashes repeatedly like yesterday, dont reset server with new save from between crashes but use the one thats safe from before crash. This is a question, no time to research the answer, need that breeding going.. my guess its hard to do serverchanges, the server is probably rented and the physical server is 1 out of 1000nds and limited service can be requested from provider.,

Gawin

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 04:15:20 pm »
I can confirm that all my villagers in minecarts survived wile those without did not. Note that not all of them had rails under them. Just the ones in carts made it.

Quasi_1987

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 03:13:14 pm »
Update: I think that avoiding the crash-hub or lobby helps alot. So when a restart is anounced, just log off till the server is back online, mostly in about 10-15 minutes.

At the moment everything in my base is running great! 38 in hall, 18 in storage, 30 at the breeder/farm and 10 in the holding cells. Only the 30 at the farm are without minecart.

Now... next problem :P Getting an iron golem head!

ten0r

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 10:03:37 pm »
I would suggest that you invest in Villager Capture eggs and store those instead.  Easier to store items than mobs and take up a lot less space :)

Quasi_1987

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 02:01:28 pm »
Well, i'm saving for a diamond home and the storage room is already done, it's below ground. :P

Brianetta

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 03:27:30 pm »
Update: I think that avoiding the crash-hub or lobby helps alot. So when a restart is anounced, just log off till the server is back online, mostly in about 10-15 minutes.

The Lobby server is separate. Not only isn't it the same server, it's not even the same brand (it's actually a non-Mojang product) and seriously, it's not responsible for anything that happens to your villagers over on the main server.

10-15 minutes is a long time to wait. The lobby sends players back in 300 seconds or not at all.

Quasi_1987

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 11:26:17 pm »
Well nice to know that kind of background information. I leave it for what it is, i'm only trying to help and not be in any disrespect to the people behind the server. The options and thoughts i'd have where only suggestions, people can make their own decisions.

If anyone is interested, Me, TheBrogaman and Bikegoddess have started a village between our bases, based on the little village in the lobby. It's a shelter for unwanted nitwits (which will be provided by me and (in the future) TheBrogaman. A giant Nitwit statue is the symbol of the village. Ask me, or the others for a teleport or go to -2300 / 2220. About 3-5 min. walk from ./spawn to the west. (note: this is for fun)

See you on the server.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 12:03:09 am by Quasi_1987 »

Brianetta

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 12:11:54 am »
If you want to take a good look at the Lobby, the original version (which is much better) is on my plot in the creative world. Feel free to check it out; there are some challenges there, if you're bored.

Quasi_1987

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 12:26:10 am »
Thanks for showing, I took some screenshots, i like the kind of maze-effect you get when you're in the village, while it is only 50x50? :)

Brianetta

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 12:36:17 am »
Yeah, I was going for a film set vibe. The game that inspired it, Thief: The Dark Project, has many fake facade buildings around the one you're tasked to rob. (-:

clangedinn

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 01:40:27 pm »
We have lost our villagers three times now i think,  Things that i have learned during the villager adventure.  First off i hate them lol :P  Second if you setup pens for them make sure there is no chunk border for them to cross, we have lost a few due to weird chunk loading.  third always keep enough eggs on hand to restock should you loose the whole crop.  forth, we have lost any free roamaing villagers while those still in minecarts have survived so since then we have kept them all in minecarts and have had no issues.

so keep backup eggs to restock should you loose it all
keeping them in minecarts seems to assist
make sure your pens do not have any chunk borders in them

Hope my experience assists

AtollaBell

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 07:47:12 pm »
I appreciate this thread to no end. Nothing has made me feel worse than building another member’s iron farm/villager breeder, only to discover that several villagers had magically disappeared. So this trick might help keep my trapped village from despawning in the future!