Author Topic: Odd Blocks  (Read 5760 times)

Laddybuck

Odd Blocks
« on: July 26, 2017, 05:06:56 am »
I've finally gathered the prerequisite two-hundred-freakin'-diamonds to get started on some proper end exploration ('endsploration'?), so the next project coming down the ol' pipeline is a shop–the 'Exotic Block Shop'.

Which leads me to the main topic here: what are the weirdest, most unplaceable blocks in vanilla? I've got some unusual tastes and tend to advocate for some of the less used textures; for example, my current home is made of red sandstone, glazed terracotta, and purpur. I've invested in some mycelium, and I'm sure I'll be using 'shroom blocks in future builds. But that's all I can think of off the top of my head, and I can't help but think there must be some others I've overlooked. Trying to think of all the things I don't see very often in builds is difficult because, you know, I don't see 'em often. So what've I missed? I'm looking for a challenge and any weird material you mention will makes its way into my future builds and shop stock, I guarantee it.

Droidology

Re: Odd Blocks
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 12:16:06 pm »
NetherQuartz Ore
Nether wart blocks
 more 2 come

Laddybuck

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 04:50:39 pm »
Oh yeah, nether wart blocks... one heck of a weird one. Red nether brick is a rather uncommon block as well.

Warpedmatrix77

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 06:38:13 pm »
Podzol

Laddybuck

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 05:38:34 pm »
Whoa, I was experimenting and melon blocks give a rather interesting effect in a wall.

TheMathKnurd

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 10:44:06 pm »
Personally, I would say soul sand and granite. They don't usually help me with my builds.  If you want an idea, try combining red nether brick and prismarine and wither sea temple related blocks.  I find them quite nice together.

firsty.blocker

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 11:07:16 pm »
My advice is just go into creative inventory and look up everything strange, though I really feel like the Chorus plant and fruit look the weirdest

Katkilledeveryone

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 01:59:57 am »
Personally i love red sandstone/sand, but granite is by far the worst. every block can be used somewhere but man, that pink horror is disgusting

AtollaBell

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 04:57:48 am »
Polished granite. Regular is gross and it does not get better.

I rather think that nether rack is not pleasant either.

_edo

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 01:27:17 am »
In response to some of the above mentioned blocks:

Podzol - That's a lovely block! I like using it as some kind of wood snippers path or area in a garden, or as floor bed in horse stables. It's much more usable then mycelium, imho.

Soul sand - I like using that as a kind of mud. On the bottom of a pond/canal/sewer/lake.

Granite (polished) - It can go rather well with hardened clay, in some situations.

Yeah, the chorus plant and fruit are just weird and awkward to me too. I've never used those aesthetically.

firsty.blocker

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 01:24:56 pm »
Yeah, that's true. I think those are the only blocks I haven't experimented with in Creative.

AtollaBell

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 07:25:05 pm »
Granite (polished) - It can go rather well with hardened clay
Hardened clay isn’t my favorite either but maybe. I’d have to experiment with these some. Even so I wish the granite was some other color because it is my least favorite of them all.

ValkyrieWings

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 02:00:10 pm »
polished granite and bone block are amazing together. Ren and ....  Cub(?) did the Logfellas HQ in these two blocks on season 4 of hermitcraft.

vaporman1041

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 02:34:32 pm »
if you are looking for an odd looking block i have found that putting vines over redstone ore also gives a nice effect. it looks like a fruit vine is growing up the wall.

Sirocca

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 01:26:22 pm »
if you are looking for an odd looking block i have found that putting vines over redstone ore also gives a nice effect. it looks like a fruit vine is growing up the wall.

Nice piece of creative thinking there!