Author Topic: Dynamic Map  (Read 3242 times)

RADxUK

Dynamic Map
« on: May 15, 2017, 07:32:13 am »
Hi Mods/Admin

Will the Dynamic Map ever make an appearance again? I always found it super useful.

peterpaul1991

Re: Dynamic Map
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 08:05:11 am »
There are multiple reasons why the dynmap has been disabled. Mostly because it constantly refreshes and giving a huge load on the server. Also it would make hermitron hunting way to easy. Hermitrons are placed by a team of placers. And if people know there names they would be able to check the players on the dynmap and just note down the cooords the player has been and travel in straight lines towards it.

And offcourse there are some other reasons like some people don't want to show there location on the server because of an unfinished project.

RADxUK

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 02:18:10 pm »
Ah well,

Thought that might be the case, but was just checking. Cheers

Brianetta

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 09:11:20 pm »
I'd like to see a semi-static map, that doesn't show player positions, and is updated perhaps once per day.

_edo

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 10:04:13 pm »
I'd like to see a semi-static map, that doesn't show player positions, and is updated perhaps once per day.

If possible, that'd be a good solution. Maybe even with a delay of a 1-2 days, so those Hermitron cubes won't be visible to quickly (or longer delay).

I did, though, really enjoy being able to see players on the map. It made the server feel much more crowded. And when one would see another player nearby on the map, one could quickly go there and say hi :)
Nowadays, when roaming around on the server one can easily not run into anyone at all. The player list (tab) might be full and chat might be active, but one often doesn't see anyone in 3D. Places (cities, towns, etc) can feel much more empty.

SHALYN9BRADYN11

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 04:34:15 am »
what about adding a mod like journeymap or have having the dynamic map only work in the end and nerther.

darparniox

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 05:37:46 am »
Honestly, even a quite long delay would be fine, like a week or two. This would still let the players enjoy the benefits without impacting hermitron and lower the load on the server, I suppose.

I liked that I could have a look around randomly on the map and seeing a cool build, and then going to visit to the sake of it. Personally I don't see heaps of point to building something beautiful on a server if you are only one that ever sees it. As for being afraid people will see an unfinished build, I don't any shame in that myself, all builds have to unfinished before they can be finished.

It was also nice to be able map stuff out easily, even if the terrain is out of date, just being able to see where you are is very useful.

Mattigins

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 06:23:23 am »
I am currently trying to resolve issue with dynmap working with FTPFS