Author Topic: Wither Skeleton Skull Farm Problems  (Read 2985 times)

HeavyDork

Wither Skeleton Skull Farm Problems
« on: June 24, 2019, 12:31:06 pm »
I constructed a Wither Skeleton Skull Farm  in XYZ 400,54,2675. It uses 6 Flying machines on 3 platforms to push mobs into a grinding area down below (24+ blocks). I have also put buttons in an exterior area to avoid spawning outside the fortress zone. I know mob rates are low in the server but, I hardly get mobs to appear. And, even more, when killing them manually without the flying machines running it seems to be more productive. I do not know if anything is not working properly...

Can anybody point my errors? Thank you!

OldmanLP85

Re: Wither Skeleton Skull Farm Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 10:10:37 am »
First question is, ar you the only person in the nether? Even the best farms only work when you’re the sole person in the nether.

Second. How far out are the buttons?  There needs to be a button on every spawnable block from bottom to top. As far out as 128? Blocks from where the player stands.
If this is the case, perhaps there’s even hidden caves that mobs are hiding in.

Good luck in your endeavours.

HeavyDork

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 12:50:09 pm »
Thanks for your comments OldmanLP85.

I have tested the farm being the only one in nether (not much change perceived)  and I think the buttons are covering the 128 block radius.  I will have a look just in case some zones uncovered in range, but (probably) the problem will be hidden caves.

• Has the Nether its own mobcap?
  • Should I remove blocks till up bedrock level and down to lava sea?
  • I don't think so but, are there spawns over non source lava covered blocks? Using lava flood to cover some areas...
  • Any tip to find hidden caves?

OldmanLP85

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 09:20:48 am »

• Has the Nether its own mobcap?
I believe nether mobs do have  their own cap. How much, i’m not sure.
  • Should I remove blocks till up bedrock level and down to lava sea?
I believe this should help. I know sub-chunks used to be a thing. I’m not sure if they still are.
  • I don't think so but, are there spawns over non source lava covered blocks? Using lava flood to cover some areas...
I’m pretty sure they are non spawnable.
  • Any tip to find hidden caves?
Dig out the entire area??

All my answers are based on my opinion. If I find out anything contrary I will update.
Good luck however. And I hope you can sort it soon 😁

HeavyDork

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 07:07:33 pm »
Thanks again! Actually, I've found a great area not covered and several caves. Digging right now :)

_edo

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 07:08:13 pm »
Any tip to find hidden caves?

Use the debug display (F2 key). It shows the number of entities (mostly mobs) in your FOV (field of view). It's somewhere in the top left, a number after the letter E:
Perhaps first test that number at some mob farm, to see how it changes when you look towards mobs and away from them.
With that, you can look for caves in the nether hidden from direct view.

HeavyDork

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 11:07:11 pm »
Interesting! Will try that after covering the visible area (still a cople of hours of "buttoning"). Thank you _edo

HeavyDork

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 02:15:20 pm »
Finished covering process and the Farm has improved greatly. Actually i can say it works :) However I still have a long process before obtaining 30 skulls I need for my base. Thank u all!