Author Topic: Announcing 'Shopping List'; A new self-organized Minigame on Sur2!  (Read 4273 times)

Marbou9

Welcome to Shopping List!
I've been playing around with an idea for this game for a while now, inspired by the LetsPlay channel (not PG) and EddCase's Base Race events. I thought it would be a nice game to organize on the server, and yesterday I've started laying the groundworks for it. The game will be known as Shopping List.

The Game
Shopping List works as follows: In the front of the Safe Zone, there's an example board with 25 different blocks. The participants have the same board on their plot in the Safe Zone, but empty, and have to exactly replicate the example board. The player who manages to do this the quickest, wins. For these blocks, you'll have to punch trees, go deep underground to mine resources and explore the surroundings (~200 blocks) for other resources you will need. I've made some additional rules to this as well, to make it a fair and exciting game for all:

The Rules
1. Everyone starts with (almost) nothing. You have to fully empty your inventory before participating, if you're seen using fancy diamond tools, elytra's or other items you already own, you will be disqualified. Every player starts with a small starting kit of 1 stone sword, 1 stone pickaxe, 1 leather chestplate and 32 cooked fish.
2. You may not use commands during the game (excluding chat). This means: No /sethome to return to the Safe Zone quicker, no teleporting to other players, and no teleporting to your base to get the materials quickly.
3. PvP has to be turned ON (this can be done by toggling /pvp), to spice up the game a bit. It is allowed to attack and/or kill other players during the game, to for example prevent them from taking those few gold ores you just spotted at the same time... Items dropped are of course as always protected by the server and can't be picked up by others. Attacking people inside the Safe Zone is NOT allowed, however. The Safe Zone is also protected from mobs - if you remember to close your fence gates.
4. No taking items from other players in the Safe Zone. Players will be /trust'ed in the Safe Zone, and could theoretically take items from other chests or other boards. This will be considered griefing, and will be reported to staff.
5. There is a limited amount of plots available, since I have to prepare the area beforehand myself. I currently made enough plots for 8 players, if there's more people wanting to participate, I might expand on this. Players wanting to participate should contact me on Discord (Marbou9#2511) beforehand, so I know who I can expect to be there. Therefore, having Discord is a 'must' to participate. I may make a Discord server for it as well, to communicate specifics there as well, but all depends on the animo for the game.
6. The winner of the game will win a prize, which is yet to be determined. There will only be one winner per game, all other participants will get a 'You Tried'-Certificate.
7. I won't be participate myself, to be able to answer questions if people run into things.

Other Information
Picture of the Safe Zone: https://imgur.com/nJ9jorw

If this first game turns out to be a success, I will likely start doing these on a regular basis, either monthly or once every two months. The game will then be held in different places throughout the wilderness of Survival2, with different blocks to collect. I would like to reiterate that this game is solely organized by myself, this is not an official server- or Event Committee-organized thing.

I still have to plan a date and time for the first event, depending on both the willingness of players to participate, and the timezones they're in. I expect the game would last approximately 2 hours, give or take 30 minutes. I'd love to hear opinions on this game, and of course hope there's enough people to participate!

- Marbou9

William

Re: Announcing 'Shopping List'; A new self-organized Minigame on Sur2!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 10:23:30 am »
Sounds cool! I hope it's on a good time :-)

gamerluuk

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 12:17:56 pm »
Meh, probably not gonna try this.

darparniox

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 12:41:15 pm »
Sounds like a really neat idea :)
I'll be sure to try make it along

Marbou9

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 12:45:36 pm »
Sounds cool! I hope it's on a good time :-)

The time is definitely something important to consider with the timezones. I'll post on the thread again when I found a few possible moments, and see when most people can make it :)

Meh, probably not gonna try this.

May I ask why you think it's "meh"? I can take constructive feedback, but just saying 'meh' without saying why you think that seems a bit pointless to me. If you don't think you'll enjoy the game, why reply to the thread in the first place?

Mrs Diss

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 01:30:43 pm »
this looks like fun, and i'd love to participate ^^ will message you on discord :)

if deaths are expected (with pvp on), and we're not allowed to use commands, shouldn't we maybe have beds in the safe zone? because i'm assuming we can't use /back after dying?

gamerluuk

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 06:43:54 pm »
Wel, it will hinder my progress on the server and i think i won't enjoy it too much. I'm more a builder than a survivaler.

Marbou9

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 07:04:53 pm »
if deaths are expected (with pvp on), and we're not allowed to use commands, shouldn't we maybe have beds in the safe zone? because i'm assuming we can't use /back after dying?

I think I will prepare beds in the Safe Zone, good point you're making there. I will likely have a few fire resistance potions on hand as well, in case someone decides to take a swim in something that's not water...

Wel, it will hinder my progress on the server and i think i won't enjoy it too much. I'm more a builder than a survivaler.

I personally always come online on the server to have fun, not necessarily to have to make progress each time I'm on. But, to each their own of course :)

Silver_wolf88

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 01:06:43 am »
Sounds fun, I look forward to it. I am curious though, how are we going to get back to where we died if we cant use /back? Setting spawn in a bed is kinda impossible "at least for me" on the server, and if you have no gear, you may get single targeted and kept from continuing.

Other than that, I look forward to it, and hope it's on a good date.

Marbou9

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 07:58:42 am »
Sounds fun, I look forward to it. I am curious though, how are we going to get back to where we died if we cant use /back? Setting spawn in a bed is kinda impossible "at least for me" on the server, and if you have no gear, you may get single targeted and kept from continuing.

Other than that, I look forward to it, and hope it's on a good date.

A few months back setting your spawn was slightly changed on the server. If you slept in a bed, you should end up there after death, if I'm not mistaken. If you haven't, or your bed is obstructed, you'll end up in the spawn windmill.
As for single targetting, I'm counting on the players of our server to be competitive enough to use PvP, but also kind enough to not continuously target people.

heatjr

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 12:13:39 pm »
Sounds brilliant! I have been watching the AH Minecraft Let's Plays for a few years now, the shopping list ones have always been some of my favourites. I'm terrible at PvP but I'm willing to have a go anyway, count me in!   :)

Thinking of some of their other episodes, Wipeout could be a cool one to try set up sometime too!

Marbou9

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 12:29:29 pm »
Small update: Due to other projects I have going on both on and outside the server, I'm temporarily postponing this event. It will still be organized in the future, I'll update the topic again when this is getting closer.