Author Topic: Limitation breeds imagination  (Read 8016 times)

xclickitx

Limitation breeds imagination
« on: December 21, 2017, 07:39:35 pm »
Hello fellow cyber dogs.

I am writing because I have been inspired by Rendog's use of a few blocks, on his current mooshroom island on Hermitcraft season 5.

I wanted to ask the community, if you have also 'tried to limit yourself to a specific pallet or blocks you don't normally use', and if so, 'How have the results been at the end of the challenge?'

I will start the topic off.

In minecraft, I would usually try and get all the types of wood, and plants before starting a build, but I have since tried a simpler approach and using whatever tree's and flowers are in the local area. Taking inspiration from the land, as it were.

Then if I have 'richer' or 'poorer' houses, I would think about using wood from other bioms as an 'import' so you can tell which houses have more influence in the area. Using high and low lands as well to show who is watching over the population.

Those are just some thought's that I've come to adapt recently in my play style, and I would love to hear your take on the subject of 'limitation'.

Thank you for your time,

~Xclick

legowar1508

Re: Limitation breeds imagination
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 02:01:44 pm »
sounds like fun! (realizes that his base is in the over world and made out of purpur and end stone). I will have some trouble with your plan though =P

xclickitx

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 06:30:13 pm »
(realizes that his base is in the over world and made out of purpur and end stone).

That just mean's that a seasoned veteran, who has conquered the land resides there. Fine imports from another dimension heh.

legowar1508

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 07:26:22 pm »
except that most of the time I am a total noob

(never beat the dragon or wither. Took me over a year to find my first diamonds. This community has helped me a lot though)

Quasi_1987

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 10:37:19 am »
On dogcraft I challenged myself to use diorite as main building block. I'm not a hater of this block for starters, but neither a fan! It's a new experience as a builder to limit yourself. And you get new insights in designing and implementing styles. I like it so far. :)

And 1 big important thing that almost anytime will be the finishing touch: landscaping/terraforming. If it's in the End a desert or in the middle of the Jungle... ..The berry on the pie!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:42:13 am by Quasi_1987 »

legowar1508

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 02:41:16 pm »
Yea been living that reality. Ever since you helped me carve out that canyon quasi I am continuing to have to transform everywhere to make my base blend.the interior is pretty much done but it is about 4 blocks down from everything else in the area so I am having to clear out everything down to sea level and then regrow grass. whilts trying to get everything to look like a piece of the end shunted into the overworld. I will have a post coming up with pictures of the story of my base :)

xclickitx

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 11:57:44 pm »
Yea been living that reality. Ever since you helped me carve out that canyon quasi I am continuing to have to transform everywhere to make my base blend.the interior is pretty much done but it is about 4 blocks down from everything else in the area so I am having to clear out everything down to sea level and then regrow grass. whilts trying to get everything to look like a piece of the end shunted into the overworld. I will have a post coming up with pictures of the story of my base :)

Whoa, that sounds quite epic. Please tag me in the post with pics, I would love to follow.

legowar1508

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 03:18:02 pm »
Once I finish terraforming the area I am going to put out a forum post to offer tours and such with pics :)

Skelleton123

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 02:37:11 pm »
I always try to limit myself to the blocks I can source myself. So not to much hard to get blocks!

OldmanLP85

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 08:34:00 am »
I've never really built with prismarine and variants. So this build, I've conquered a guardian temple, sponging out a 56 chunk circle 🙄. I'm just over halfway through that. But already trying to figure out how to use the prismarine.

I've finished sponging all the water over the immediate guardian temple, built the farm, have an iron farm stacked on it. And in the process of combing the iron farm into an infinite villager breeder.   But then have to decorate with prismarine. Hmm. Creative juices are flowing. Just need to get them out of my head now.

xclickitx

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 06:48:13 pm »
I've never really built with prismarine and variants. So this build, I've conquered a guardian temple, sponging out a 56 chunk circle 🙄. I'm just over halfway through that. But already trying to figure out how to use the prismarine.

I've finished sponging all the water over the immediate guardian temple, built the farm, have an iron farm stacked on it. And in the process of combing the iron farm into an infinite villager breeder.   But then have to decorate with prismarine. Hmm. Creative juices are flowing. Just need to get them out of my head now.

Whoa, that's a massive circle! I look forward to checking out the updates :)

vaporman1041

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 06:32:41 pm »
I'v always tried to build with the blocks around me. That way it looks like a part of the landscape. Then i will throw in blocks from other areas as i find them. Kind of like when RenDog built the nether temple. That way each time you find a new biome you can mark it with a special build. Iceing on the cake so to speak.

legowar1508

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 01:39:19 pm »
well I tried to do that. and succeeded fairly well. but then I realized that by doing that I had constrained myself to just a small (1250 square blocks of a canyon carved out between two hills) area that wasn't enough for what I wanted my base to be. Now I am leveling both hills on each side of my canyon just to make the space usable and to be able to complete my base. This has cause about 12 hours of work that could have been avoided if I had gone to the big picture immediately.

briggsmech

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 09:53:00 pm »
I try to use blocks I find around me. that limits me some but I have never tried to build with just three or four types of blocks. I wish there were more stair varieties for some blocks. would love to see stairs for all the concrete blocks and even glass. that would make for some realy interesting builds.

Wodong77

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 03:19:04 am »
Usually I've stayed limited to a few local blocks, but since coming on the server, my latest craze is to try a limited palette with blocks that aren't local at all: I'm a fan of endstone bricks in the overworld and overworld terraforming the End. Some ideas demand a larger palette, but too much mixing muddies the waters, so to speak. My project near Sur2 spawn makes use of a pretty wide variety of blocks, and I'm having a little trouble with sourcing some of them (read: I need to get to a mesa and/or dye a lot of terra-cotta).

All that said, while I certainly can source certain blocks myself, some aren't really worth my time to do so (looking at you, birch and acacia logs!) so while they're relatively abundant near my sites, I'd rather get to the part of using them than chopping or mining them.