Author Topic: City of Havana  (Read 8785 times)

_edo

City of Havana
« on: September 22, 2017, 05:55:08 pm »

Havana is perhaps the largest city in the Survival2 world. It was founded on september 2nd 2017, the same day the Survival2 world was opened to the public. It is located ±1,5 km south of spawn and can be easily reached via the railway track departing from Spawn Station. In Havana (coordinates: X:-1850, Z:4200) you’ll arrive at Grand Central Station which is the centre of the SRN (Survival Railway Network) and the NTN (Nether Transport Network). Havana also provides the basic needs for the starting player: food, wood, stone, maps (Great Survival Map project), enchanting, etc.
Havana is a summery, happy and colourful city. Semi-tropical and a place to relax, be and build with other players. It’s all about communality, doing things together. Off course everyone needs a lil' place of their own, but the emphasis in the steadily growing city is on shared activity and buildings for shared and public use.

view large
Detailed Map of Havana

view large
Havana in relation to spawn

view large
In game screenshot of Havana (sept '17)

view large
In game screenshot of Havana (march '18)

view large
In game screenshot of Havana (nov '18)

In april 2018, Rendog posted a wonderful youtube video showcasing Havana!

Building in Havana
Any player can claim some land in Havana and start to build. Everyone is more than welcome! Here are some rules and guidelines:

Building regulations:
  • Don’t claim or build on (planned) roads, railways or waterways. Everyone needs to be able to get around town, on foot, horse, minecart or boat.
  • Only cut down trees and terraform land once you actually start to build on it. We don't like empty flattened areas and prefer to have the forest around our city.
  • We want to build a dense city. Claims should not be bigger than your building. Don’t make gardens around your building. Expect your neighbours to build their buildings up against your building too.
  • Yes, do build multi story buildings. It makes the city denser.
  • But no, don’t build ridiculously high. No higher than Havana’s Dept. Store (see image).

view large
Example of buildings in a dense city
Havana's Dept. Store to the left (green/sandstone building)

view large
Example of buildings in a dense city

Building aesthetics:
  • A modern, 19-20 century City.
  • Colorful, Tropical, Summery, Sand, Sandstone, Palmtrees.
  • Art Deco.
  • Image search some Havana or Art Deco Miami (our intention is not to copy Havana, just to be loosely inspired by it)

Controlled Areas
Havana is run by three mayors (Brianetta (also admin), darparniox (also SRN boss) and _edo (original SRN founder and previous moderator)) and joined by five builders to develop the city (Aeghu, Skelleton123, FredRaket, marbou9 and Max_Argos). Although everyone can claim some land and build in Havana, parts of the city have been claimed by the mayors: The City Centre, the Citizen Area and the Industrial Area (see the above detailed map of Havana). In the City Centre are the basic facilities that all ‘Havanians’ can use. The Citizen Area and Industrial Area (with automated farms) are usable only by ‘Citizens’; players who’ve proven themselves trustworthy and helpful by building for the Havana community. We've restricted these areas because apart from allowing everyone to claim and build in Havana, we also wanted a more moderated area. Plus, one of the basic ideas of this server is that new players shouldn't be granted all these luxurious features right from the bat, this is a survival world after all.

How to become a Havana Citizen?
First, to be clear, if you want to build something in Havana you don’t necessarily have to become a so called ‘Citizen’. Like mentioned before, everyone can build something in Havana. We only kindly ask of you to adhere to the building regulations and -aesthetics mentioned above. If you do want to become a Havana ‘Citizen’ the main thing you’ll have to do is build something in Havana with a public function that others can use; your contribution to the community.

Below is a step-by-step explanation of the Citizen application procedure:
  • Read this Havana forum post and get yourself familiar with Havana’s building regulations- and aesthetics (you’re doing good!  :) )
  • Talk to a Havana mayor (_edo, darparniox or brianetta) or builder (Aeghu, Skelleton123, FredRaket, Marbou9 or Max_Argos).
  • Join the Havana discord server. The mayor or builder will send you an invite.
    • Install Discord when you haven’t yet. It’s a free app for Windows, OSX, Linux, iOS and Android.
    • Discord is used by many cyberdogs. Rendog uses it too. We suggest you also  join Rendog’s discord server.
    • While some of us do voice in discord, we mainly use the Havana discord server for text chat and image sharing.
  • Decide on a public build you’d like to realise in Havana. Suggest it on the Havana discord server or if you’re not sure discuss ideas for your public build with others there. What kind of build? What location in Havana? For some suggestions, check this Havana Google doc.
  • Design your build project in a creative world and show screenshots in Havana discord to see what the other Havanians think of it. If you’re going to build an (automated) farm, a link to a youtube video might suffice.
  • Build it.
  • When complete, let everyone know in the Havana discord server.
  • When all is fine, a Havana mayor will upgrade your Havana discord title to ‘Citizen’. A mayor will introduce you around Havana and /trust you in the appropriate claims. You’ll have your name displayed in Havana city hall; you’ll be able to use the automated farms in the industrial area and some other places on the server; you can access the citizen storage; you can build a house in the citizen area and you can chat in the citizen discord chat channel.

Whether you’re just visiting or planning to build or even to become a Citizen, welcome to Havana! We hope you’ll enjoy your stay.  :D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 01:39:21 am by _edo »

therealkid2369

Re: City of Havana
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 03:29:12 am »
I've been there recently, it is looking great! I think I might have to claim myself some land.

William

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 10:57:06 am »
Havana is sure looking good! I visited it recently and it looks fantastic :)
Good luck with the builds - they look great.

- William

Skelleton123

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 11:01:57 am »
Havana is sure looking good! I visited it recently and it looks fantastic :)
Good luck with the builds - they look great.

- William

Maybe once both our cities are up and running we could both build an embassy in each others town. Just an idea!

_edo

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 09:25:38 pm »
I've added an updated Map of Havana to the Original Post:

view large
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:27:49 pm by _edo »

Taeolas

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 12:43:34 am »
The Ren monument is too good. For the short time working on the beach while having my back to him, I'll turn and catch a glimpse of him in the corner of my eye then think that someone's behind me watching me work. XD

I might need to make a temp wall to avoid this, rofl!

Skelleton123

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 07:32:10 am »
The Ren monument is too good. For the short time working on the beach while having my back to him, I'll turn and catch a glimpse of him in the corner of my eye then think that someone's behind me watching me work. XD

I might need to make a temp wall to avoid this, rofl!
Ren is always watching us!

Attila

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 09:34:52 am »
Sounds creepy to me when someone would always be watching me when I would work. . .

dragnrider70

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 02:44:52 pm »
I had a question about the desert south of Havana (not the industrial area). It says in the bottom right "J0n_R4ng's Lands". how much of the desert are J0n_R4ng's lands? I've been wanting to build an oasis in the desert but I haven't been able to find one yet and thought that would be a great spot for it.

Also, what are the requirements to become a citizen?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:06:30 pm by dragnrider70 »

Brianetta

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 10:28:06 am »
J0n_r4ng is a friend of the city, but not formally a resident or citizen. He has established a large claim in the desert for his own purposes. If it's anything like his claim on Survival 1, he's going to be making full use of it for something big. It isn't something we can make available to you, you would have to speak to him directly.

ScaryMJDiamcreep

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 11:22:38 am »
one thing i found out because of a challenge at my school is that havana is also the name of the capital city of a caribbean country. i'm certain that i'm spelt that wrong.

Brianetta

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 11:40:41 am »
one thing i found out because of a challenge at my school is that havana is also the name of the capital city of a caribbean country. i'm certain that i'm spelt that wrong.

It's the capital of Cuba. Our architecture is even inspired by that city. We're also partly inspired by the ideals that led to the 1959 revolution in Cuba, although not the subsequent reality.

Our Havana is inspired by Old Havana with a splash of Amsterdam for good measure.

_edo

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 02:01:46 pm »
Here's a new updated Map of Havana.
I've added it to the original post about Havana:

view large

badlittlepig

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 01:40:07 pm »
can someone help me get a plot in havana?

Skelleton123

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 03:38:49 pm »
Badlittlepig,

Contact _edo, Brian or Darparnoix. They are they mayors and can help you out. _edo is your best bet, he has the whole city planned in his head!

-Skelly-