Author Topic: Survival Railway Network  (Read 23175 times)

firsty.blocker

Re: Survival Railway Network
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2017, 10:51:13 pm »
Hey everyone, just a quick update from me.
The SRN track from East Station to Lackria Station will soon require some major reconstruction as LAK3RS reworks his base area and lake. Currently the rail design is broken as the lake has changed dramatically recently, and the water level/bridge no longer goes with the track, as you can see:

I have spoken to him and the plans are:
- Rebuild bridge in the same area but making it more grand.
- Re-routing track through his castle town (or perhaps it might be nice to go through his underwater display area)
- Potentially making a station at his castle town (perhaps on another line? Not sure about this one, but it deserves one - it's an impressive build)

Work won't start until (probobally) LAK3RS sorts out his base area and the lake itself, but I'm putting this here in advance as major sections of the rail will have to be removed and rebuilt. The rail starts at (2108, 71, 383 - SRN East Station) if you want to have a look at the area (darp, _edo) :)

Thanks,
William

Yeah, I noticed this. I think it makes sense that Lakers incorporates the track into his base re-build, like making a more grand bridge, slightly rerouting it, etc.

I'm not sure about a full SRN station there though. The basic idea is that a player in a minecart  travels uninterrupted from SRN Station to SRN Station, but stops at every SRN Station. Optimal travel time being somewhere between 2-5 minutes between two SRN Stations. An extra SRN station at Lakers base would make the two resulting stretches too short, imo. The East to Lackria track is already quite short.

A 'secondary' station might be an option though. In a so-called secondary station the mine cart travel continues uninterrupted by default. The player can however jump out of the minecart or maybe open a chest mid-travel to switch a rail junction, or whatever, to end the ride that way. Brianetta made a nice redstoney junction that by default continues the minecart along the SRN track, but gives the traveler a ± 1-2 seconds pause and option to actively choose a secondary track. (See an inworld example if this on the East to Pyramid Station track).

we should probably just reroute it and leave the stations alone

SimonDog

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2017, 06:51:16 am »
I am in shock and awe at how incredible this map is (Look on pages 1-2).  I was wondering if you could make another version of the map with a grid marking out the coordinates.  Also, how in the world did you explore the whole world like that, or even manage to get a map like that?!  Please let me know.  I also intend to become a part of the SRN if that is conceivable and/or possible.

- Stardog202
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:00:30 am by SimonDog »

William

« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2017, 10:02:30 am »

Yeah, I noticed this. I think it makes sense that Lakers incorporates the track into his base re-build, like making a more grand bridge, slightly rerouting it, etc.

I'm not sure about a full SRN station there though. The basic idea is that a player in a minecart  travels uninterrupted from SRN Station to SRN Station, but stops at every SRN Station. Optimal travel time being somewhere between 2-5 minutes between two SRN Stations. An extra SRN station at Lakers base would make the two resulting stretches too short, imo. The East to Lackria track is already quite short.

A 'secondary' station might be an option though. In a so-called secondary station the mine cart travel continues uninterrupted by default. The player can however jump out of the minecart or maybe open a chest mid-travel to switch a rail junction, or whatever, to end the ride that way. Brianetta made a nice redstoney junction that by default continues the minecart along the SRN track, but gives the traveler a ± 1-2 seconds pause and option to actively choose a secondary track. (See an inworld example if this on the East to Pyramid Station track).

Alright, sounds good - If LAK3RS wants he can always build a secondary stop or line :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a different note, I have been playing using Vanilla Tweaks, and in preparation for 1.12 I am using the 1.12 colours addon and unfortunately some of the station colours look pretty bad with the new colours. For example, the green below looks like nuclear waste unfortunately due to the colour changes. A fix would be to use dark green as it looks slightly nicer, or redesign the default station stairway using a different colour scheme. This may affect other stations where different wool colours are used as well.

Thanks
William
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:19:51 am by William »

_edo

« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2017, 10:32:48 am »
I am in shock and awe at how incredible this map is (Look on pages 1-2).  I was wondering if you could make another version of the map with a grid marking out the coordinates.  Also, how in the world did you explore the whole world like that, or even manage to get a map like that?!  Please let me know.  I also intend to become a part of the SRN if that is conceivable and/or possible.

- Stardog202

Hey Stardog,

That map was created when the server still had a dynmap (dynamic map), somewhere mid 2016. It's a couple of screenshots of that dynmap stitched together. During that time there also wasn't much need to put coordinates in the SRN/NTN map, since the dynmap showed clear and exact coordinates with a mousepointer rollover.
Currently this SRN/NTN map is the largest map available for this server.

An yes, you're welcome to help out with the SRN. Check out the original post in this thread, check the pictures explaining the design our tracks and stations ( apart from the links in the op, also here: http://edodc.imgur.com ) and check out stuff that has been build in-world. Travel a bit around with the SRN and NTN tracks :-). And let us know if you have good gear / elytra / infinite homes. Those are handy assets when working on the SRN/NTN.
Darpaniox is in charge of the SRN/NTN. I ran it originally and (obviously) am still involved. Let us know too if you prefer to work on something specific (a track, a station), on your own or together, or if you prefer to be assigned a clearly defined task.
We also, since recently, have an SRN discord server for smooth, internal convos.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:34:23 am by _edo »

ScaryMJDiamcreep

« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2017, 04:06:59 pm »
where can i find this discord server? discord name is ScaryMJDiamcreep and tag is #6163

SimonDog

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2017, 04:36:09 am »
@_edo

To answer your questions or phrases, I have iron gear, at one point had some diamond, but lost it to lava :(, no elytra, and I also do not know where to find one, and if I did, how to get to it, and I have the wooden home, with both used.  I could purchase the next one however, once I save enough money or make a really good deal and get the diamond home.  Things I would want to work on would probably vary with my attitude and self-conversations day by day, however now I would say stations, but the other side of me will argue that stations will require more brainpower than I have, and can take hours to design based on the terrain and current level, and tracks are easy to make, and require almost no creative thinking whilst you have a set design, then my other side...

Anyways, that's my report.

- Stardog202

Alexcat03

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2017, 05:13:45 am »
How old is the pic for this I am looking for my base on it
:-P

darparniox

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2017, 06:05:44 am »
@_edo

To answer your questions or phrases, I have iron gear, at one point had some diamond, but lost it to lava :(, no elytra, and I also do not know where to find one, and if I did, how to get to it, and I have the wooden home, with both used.  I could purchase the next one however, once I save enough money or make a really good deal and get the diamond home.  Things I would want to work on would probably vary with my attitude and self-conversations day by day, however now I would say stations, but the other side of me will argue that stations will require more brainpower than I have, and can take hours to design based on the terrain and current level, and tracks are easy to make, and require almost no creative thinking whilst you have a set design, then my other side...

Anyways, that's my report.

- Stardog202

Hey Simon :) The absolute easiest way to get involved is that if you see a SRN builder (edo, Aeghu, Brianetta, OPwrecker etc) in-game, just pm them to ask if they are working on anything that you can help on, and tp to them etc. Stuff like this can be done really casually with no commitments involved. This can be a good way to get started, especially if you are becoming established on the server. Hope that helps.

How old is the pic for this I am looking for my base on it
:-P

The map screenshot is from approximately May 2016

William

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2017, 11:25:25 pm »
Hey all,
Earlier I posted about the plan to re-route the track between East Station and Lackria Station to work with LAK3RS' new base design. Today, me, _edo and LAK3RS discussed the plans to reroute the track to accommodate his new plans. Here's the basic idea (Excuse the horrible mock-up :p, Open in a new window to zoom in/out):

The tracks will run from the current rail connecting to East Station, through LAK3RS' lake, underneath the water in his underwater area, which is a really impressive lakebed featuring some interesting set pieces. It will also give a good look of the castle towering above.
It will enter/exit through tunnel segments at the end of the lake, and there will be a 'hop-on, hop-off' ancient underwater station so you can have a closer look around. The track will connect back onto the rest of the existing track at the end (which will be modified and risen shortly as well) and connect with Lackria Station.

It's a very ambitious but very interesting piece of track. It will look great when complete, no doubt though. Work can commence when LAK3RS' completes the necessary terraforming to support the tracks. The Lackria connection will continue to function until the new tracks are ready :).

Thanks,
William
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:27:03 pm by William »

darparniox

« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2017, 08:50:31 am »
Sounds great. Good luck when the time comes :D

Skelleton123

« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2017, 10:09:26 pm »
Just letting you know: If you need help on the future 1.12 server, I'll be happy to help out!

mehworld

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2017, 12:14:02 pm »
Hey guys, just a quick question.

Are we allowed to dupe rails, I know that some servers do look down upon it but I'm quite poor and could do with a helping hand.

I'll be happy to help with supplies when my iron farm is up and running, if a donation area is set up please let me know.

Thanks guys for your response.

Brianetta

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2017, 12:54:24 pm »

Are we allowed to dupe rails
I know the answer to this. It's no. I'm sure a moderator will confirm that in due course.

_edo

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2017, 04:37:18 pm »

Are we allowed to dupe rails
I know the answer to this. It's no. I'm sure a moderator will confirm that in due course.

What does that mean, 'dupe rails'?

ScaryMJDiamcreep

« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2017, 09:05:11 am »
i think it's either like the falling block glitch where you can change one type of rail into another, or it's a duplication glitch. either way, it wouldn't be allowed.