Author Topic: Survival Railway Network  (Read 18538 times)

darparniox

Survival Railway Network
« on: April 03, 2017, 09:02:59 am »
Survival Railway Network (SRN)

(This topic is for the now defunct SRN in the original Survival world, thread for its Sur3 counterpart: https://dogcraft.net/forum.php?page=/topic,904.msg8776.html)

Overview
The Survival Railway Network is a transport network that provides access to locations in the survival world through railways. The SRN was founded by _edo and Mr_Dawgie in May 2016 and was managed by _edo until January 2017. It aims to not only get players to places, but to also give players a scenic journey that displays the best of surrounding terrain wherever possible. The SRN is centered at Spawn Station, located underneath the golden Grannydog monument at spawn. It extends in the four cardinal directions (north, south, east and west) until reaching the first station, named after the respective direction it is in. From there, the lines continue in those directions and are ever expanding. A current map of the SRN is below (to zoom in, open image in a new tab).

Design
The SRN has a standard track design that is strongly recommended to be followed. Any official SRN tracks should use the style which includes ground track, high-rail, tunnel and other designs so that any terrain can be crossed effectively. Some components of this design as much less defined, and personal preferences of the builder are fine. Non-official tracks, know as secondary tracks (usually tracks that lead to player bases), do not have to follow this style unless the owner of the track so desires. These tracks should not interrupt the official track. New track styles for official tracks are welcomed to be put forward, and are often used as long as they follow SRN criteria. A standard station design is also used, but the only component of it that is required is the basic platform with minecart dispensers, and a design that deviates from the standard can be used as long as it fits its surrounds.

Track Design Album: http://imgur.com/a/URA8K

Station Design Album: http://imgur.com/a/LbC1M

Full in-game examples of track designs will be available soon

Get Involved
Anyone can be involved in contributing to the SRN. We are always looking for helpers to assist in the expansion of the SRN by building or donating. If you want to help in a general sense, or have a specific area you have in mind, please private message me or reply to this thread. If you are looking to create a secondary line, contact with me or the nearby official line's manager is hugely appreciated and will mean that we can help to find the best position for a hop-off point and may be able to change the existing or planned track to your ideals. If you are creating a build nearby and would like to incorporate the existing track or would like it to be re-routed a small amount to fit around the build, contact is also very much appreciated. Donations of stone, wood (especially spruce), glowstone, rails, and minecarts are always appreciated. All contributions to the SRN are recorded on the thank-you street, in-game at Spawn Station.

Nether Transport Network (NTN)

Overview
The Nether Transport Network was founded to provide fast and efficient travel to outer regions that it was apparent the SRN would not reach for a long time. The network provides transport via boats on ice tracks in the nether. This means that less actual block distance is needed to travel to the same corresponding place in the overworld, and this distance is covered faster by the boat than a minecart. The NTN also operates in the four cardinal directions, but has many T-junctions in order to connect towns and major builds. It can connect to SRN stations via nether portals.

Design
The objective of the NTN is provide efficient travel, and thus, uniformity in style is desired. All tracks and stations must follow the conventions and design of all other tracks which are designed to be as easy to use and navigate as possible.

Track and Station design album: http://imgur.com/a/UzyL9

Get Involved
As per the SRN, anyone can get involved easily by private messaging me or replying here. New routes to major builds/towns/server landmarks are more than welcomed to be proposed. Any donations of stone, packed ice, iron bars, spruce wood, coloured wool or end rods are very appreciated. Any contribution will be marked on the NTN helper wall at the nether hub.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:03:52 am by darparniox »

peterpaul1991

Re: Survival Railway Network
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 10:02:13 am »
Maybe a good idea to remake all the pictures in Vanilla and put them side to side in the post.  ;)

Most of the players don't use john smith anymore. This is because it aint a server forced texture pack anymore. And it also shows you both perspectives  ;D

darparniox

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 10:08:18 am »
Maybe a good idea to remake all the pictures in Vanilla and put them side to side in the post.  ;)

Most of the players don't use john smith anymore. This is because it aint a server forced texture pack anymore. And it also shows you both perspectives  ;D

Probably will, these pictures are only a temporary measure. However, everything in these designs looks pretty much the same in default (which is great/lucky, since they were not designed with default in mind). I have made note (to myself at least :P) that anything that is designed in JSL texture pack needs to look decent in default as well now.

Edit: Maybe consideration should be given to trying to replace as much glowstone as possible to redstone lamps, because glowstone doesn't look nice in default.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:10:49 am by darparniox »

peterpaul1991

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 11:13:08 am »
Thats the main reason why i responded to this. New players join mostly with default instead of a texture pack.  ;)

jjminedogs

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 02:41:01 pm »
I worked with Edo a lot when he started all of this and he looked at the textures in several different packs before deciding on the blocks he used. I think it looks good in the default pack as well as John Smith and Chromahills. We started with redstone lamps and then realized that it caused a major lag on the server every time they came on. I would stay away from the redstone idea.

William

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 03:51:47 pm »
I worked with Edo a lot when he started all of this and he looked at the textures in several different packs before deciding on the blocks he used. I think it looks good in the default pack as well as John Smith and Chromahills. We started with redstone lamps and then realized that it caused a major lag on the server every time they came on. I would stay away from the redstone idea.
Yeah, they do look quite nice in both, but it is very obvious they were mostly designed for John Smith and thus look significantly better in it as a result. I dont think its anything to worry over right now though.

2lesslives.

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 03:59:08 pm »
Just a little thing I want to say, only thing I want to say on the railway system, I think you should create a new station design, (in my opinion) it is 'lacking fasion' compared to the rest of the railway.

~ 2less

Brianetta

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 06:51:01 pm »
So, here's my video about how to build the station platform.

SRN platform build tutorial
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 06:54:13 pm by Brianetta »

darparniox

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 08:52:05 pm »

That's good and I'm not suprised you guys had the foresight to. I didn't think about the lag though, I think everyone will agree its better to stick to glowstone then.

Just a little thing I want to say, only thing I want to say on the railway system, I think you should create a new station design, (in my opinion) it is 'lacking fasion' compared to the rest of the railway.

~ 2less

I agree to some extent with this, but the design can be very easily altered to make it less plain by changing the materials. Other stations in the standard design are made with red sandstone, clay bricks/stone, oak/green clay etc.

domasleo159

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 04:00:44 pm »
Looking awesome man!

Y3Y3

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 05:03:13 pm »
Yeah, looks sweet man! I might be willing to help; you will just have to catch me when I am free-busy schedule. If you see me online and need help just message me and I'll get back to you or use my discord :)
-Y3Y3

darparniox

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 10:10:05 pm »
SRN & NTN Update

• As mentioned on the old site, Rad has completed the line from West Station to its next station. Natedogsquishy also helped build the line.
  • Far West Station has been renamed to Taiga Bay Station and has been built. Pictures below.

• Valhalla Station has been built in the nether (light blue) to add to the previous portal and track there.
  • Lego_Master7877's city Radeon is now accessible via the NTN. Radeon Station (black) has been built, as has a track from Valhalla Station to there. Both stations can be found to taking the alternate ice track that goes south from Valhalla Junction, which is to the east of the nether hub (see map)

• Maintainence has been performed on all SRN lines fixing stuff such as missing blocks and small route changes due to new build etc. If anything has been missed, please alert me so I can fix it.
  • All maps in stations that where ... er ... mixed up completely during the server host change have been fixed.
  • Construction of the line from Pyramid Station to the next eastern station has been initiated. Aeghu is managing this.
  • The SRN/NTN map has been updated to include all of the updates above and a couple of other things. (Open in a new tab to zoom in)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:37:45 am by darparniox »

_edo

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 12:01:45 am »
    Hey all,

Wow! So cool to see this thread and all the stuff that has been done since I handed the SRN/NTN project over to Darparniox. So heart warming to see it keeps going   :) :)
    Darp, the op looks great, very informative! I love those elaborate design instructions. Must have been quite some work to make those. And then there's also the new Taiga Bay Station and a new SRN line to it! And SRN line extension further east from pyramid station. And new NTN stations, sweet! I'm gonna travel around in game a bit to visit those places.

Thanks all so much, especially you, Darp !

PS: Darp, feel free to reuse/download/link to the images/albums on my imgur account: http://edodc.imgur.com. Like, maybe the Hot Air Balloon design.
    Also, if you want, I can provide the original Adobe Illustrator files with which I made the SRN/NTN maps (or make some high resolution png files of those).
    PS2: I think it was FredRaket (a Dutch Cyberdog, I'm not fully sure I remember his name right) who build Pyramid Station. Maybe mention that in the imgur album.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:10:47 am by _edo »

ScaryMJDiamcreep

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 03:03:19 pm »
    it does still bug me that where my base is can't be seen on any of the maps, but i'm sure that can change when I get round to finishing it and linking it up to the NTN tracks

firsty.blocker

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 07:58:07 pm »
    This line of train tracks is very useful to me, I use it to get to and from my house located between East station and Spawn, I greatly feel that we should expand it, there are currently many areas not covered by the track, I want to build a secondary/main line starting from South/Lackria station.
    Darparniox, if you are reading this and are interested, please quote this and reply, thanks!

Here is a map of my proposed lines and stations
    « Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:07:16 am by Firsty Blocker »