Mattigins

• Administrator
    Staircases
    Bricks

• Dogcraft Dollars: 1,804,430
  • [View Inventory]
  • oo Purpley!
    • View Profile
So i have been putting it off, but the time has come to possibly reset the Dynmap for the survival world.

I know this is an inconvenience for players but we just do not have the server space to hold the size it has grown to.

I will be posting here when the time comes to reset the map. I just thought i'd give a heads up about this so people can get their screenshots or whatever and a discussion can be opened.

Re: Dynmap Reset
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 02:34:37 PM »

KazYagami

• Global Moderator
    Staircases
    Bricks

• Dogcraft Dollars: 289,447
  • [View Inventory]
    • View Profile
Dynmap should be a privilege and not a right anyways, if we have to reset the dynmap to make the server run better do it. Dynmap is just an added crutch, it's almost like that map mod but its not in minecraft.

~Kaz

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 03:05:25 PM »

Bigedley

Staircases
    Bricks

• Dogcraft Dollars: 170,098
  • [View Inventory]
    • View Profile
I agree with Kaz. Its fun to zoom out and look around but it it not essential. I usually just use it to plot out expeditions :)
I'm not addicted to minecraft... I can quit whenever I want... But no one likes a quitter... :p

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 04:32:18 PM »

Plex (aka William27528)

Staircases
    Bricks

• Dogcraft Dollars: 5,249
  • [View Inventory]
  • Mayor of Lackria! Fully trained Cyberdog.
    • View Profile
Kinda sucks, but I do understand. As a server owner, I remember dynmap being a pain and using lots of RAM to process.
I have not researched the full extent of what it can do/any alternatives but perhaps after, say 30,000 blocks out it wont display.
After all, resetting it is only a temporary solution.

You can also disable it from showing the hub world and other worlds that don't really need it.
Overall it may be a nuisance but I suppose we'll just have to get re-mapping everything again :p

Thanks,
William

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 05:42:31 PM »

_edo

• Cyberdog Server Moderator
    Staircases
    Bricks

• Dogcraft Dollars: 1,097,995
  • [View Inventory]
  • Yer friendly Spawn City neighbour!
    • View Profile
There are some (possibly major) implications:
- Players can't see which areas in The End are unexplored. It might become practically untenable for a new player to ever figure out a way to find an elytra (without tp help from other players). This might have an impact on elytra trade as well.

- Finding new biomes (ice, with polar bears, mesa with gold, etc) becomes harder. (I don't consider this a major hurdle though)

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 11:05:10 AM »

BielSAA

I have a suggestion about it.

I have some experience with DynMap and I know that the files it generate are huge and that it uses a lot of CPU.

As I noticed, the end dimension has always a lot to load, my first suggestion is to remove all the world from dynmap except the main ones like Survival overworld, McMMO overworld and Amplified overworld.

Other thing I could notice is that dynmap is running in high quality mode, if you put it in default mode it uses a loot less CPU, also, if you keep only the flat map (and remove the surface map)it uses a lot less CPU.

I always use dynmap to plan the things I'm going to build, travel from somewhere to somewhere else, etc.

Thanks,
BielSAA.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 12:04:49 PM »

Mattigins

• Administrator
    Staircases
    Bricks

• Dogcraft Dollars: 1,804,430
  • [View Inventory]
  • oo Purpley!
    • View Profile

I have some experience with DynMap and I know that the files it generate are huge and that it uses a lot of CPU.

As I noticed, the end dimension has always a lot to load, my first suggestion is to remove all the world from dynmap except the main ones like Survival overworld, McMMO overworld and Amplified overworld.

Other thing I could notice is that dynmap is running in high quality mode, if you put it in default mode it uses a loot less CPU, also, if you keep only the flat map (and remove the surface map)it uses a lot less CPU.

I always use dynmap to plan the things I'm going to build, travel from somewhere to somewhere else, etc.

Thanks,
BielSAA.

All nethers, and ends have been deleted in the past. It is not enough. The survival world take up 90% of the data.

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 01:43:15 PM »

MasterMind

Staircases
    Bricks

• Dogcraft Dollars: 142,333
  • [View Inventory]
  • Minecraft texturer, a nobody!
    • View Profile
Like kaz said if it helps with the CPU and data used so far, go for it. It wont hurt.

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 02:36:56 PM »

Kiterou

• Cyberdog Server Moderator
    Staircases
    Bricks

• Dogcraft Dollars: 45,332
  • [View Inventory]
    • View Profile
Is it possible, to save the map of survival end? That would be the only thing I would recommend, as it will be very hard for new players to get their hands on an elytra without the possibility to check if an area is untouched, like edo said. :)

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 02:50:54 PM »

BielSAA

Thanks,
BielSAA.

All nethers, and ends have been deleted in the past. It is not enough. The survival world take up 90% of the data.

Try removing the surface map of everything, letting just the flat, that will help a lot more

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 06:22:57 PM »

Kijushi

Staircases
    Bricks

• Dogcraft Dollars: 40,812
  • [View Inventory]
  • Cyberdog
    • View Profile
While I can see it as detrimental to some, as the map can be useful, take a look at other servers. Ones that use dynamap are either high funded or involve few people (such as a personal server for friends). And there are plenty of servers that don't use the function and are still enjoyable. The removal of the dynamap, if it allows for better performance, should go through.
The Desert Wanderer

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 06:55:24 PM »

jjminedogs

• VIP Cyberdog
    Staircases
    Bricks

• Dogcraft Dollars: 4,173,250
  • [View Inventory]
  • Super Noob
    • View Profile
Is the Dynamap going to be removed or just reset? If it is reset that should not be to bad as you will still be able to look at your builds in the chunks as they reload. If it is going to be removed that will make building and exploring a lot harder.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:56:57 PM by jjminedogs »

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 07:40:38 PM »

milkchamberlain

Staircases
    Bricks

• Dogcraft Dollars: 6,602
  • [View Inventory]
  • A true derp
    • View Profile
I know that this may not work if the server is being run via an external host, but what if Ren or one of us just asked if someone would be willing to donate a spare hard drive/solid state drive that they might have. I know I know there are other things you would need to check, but just consider it an option.
-milkchamberlain

if I had a dcd then I'd have a dcd!
sung to the tune of "if I had a million dollars"

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 08:22:23 PM »

Ivory

Staircases
    Bricks

• Dogcraft Dollars: 43,374
  • [View Inventory]
  • twitch Mod/Slime Queen/Crazy Mc Gamer
    • View Profile
as matti said. mattigins-I will be posting here when the time comes to reset the map.
reset folks not removing of the map
-sqush sqush- i am the slime queen -sqush sqush-

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 10:33:08 PM »

Thebes_bivan

Staircases
    Bricks

• Dogcraft Dollars: 15,663
  • [View Inventory]
    • View Profile
I might be the only one who is COMPLETELY confused as to WHAT the Dynmap is.